Since we are still in the midst of a global pandemic we’re called to self isolate leaving it difficult to entertain ourselves, stay healthy, and stay sane during the summer months. In these stressful and unknown times, we have a golden opportunity to focus more on ourselves, slow down, and really make the most of our time. Whether you are still in quarantine or you’re looking for new activities to try as your slowly going back to a “normal” life, here are my favorites that have helped me stay occupied.
Putting on light makeup even if I have nowhere to go: Some days a bare face just is not cutting it when I look in the mirror. These are my favorite products that are affordable and create a makeup-less makeup look with the perfect amount of coverage for everyday use and help you stay dewy/hydrated:
- Glossier Boy Brow grooming pomade ($16): Visibly thickens, shapes, and grooms brows into place and is great for everyday use. I have this in the clear and the brown and I use it everyday like it’s my job, it’s amazing.
- Glossier Niteshine highlighter concentrate ($20): I love the easy to apply brush it comes with, and a little goes a long way. After I apply my skincare after my shower or in the morning after I wake up, I put this on and it stays all day without smudging creating a luminous glow (great for summer).
- Glossier Cloud Paint seamless cheek color ($18): A lightweight formula that instantly blends into a natural, flushed-from-within glow, creating a seamless buildable color. I use the colors “Puff” (pinky color) and “Beam” (peachy color) that are great for summer and stay on all day. If you are going to use foundation, concealer, etc, you will want to use a generous amount if you really want the product to show.
- Glossier Lip Gloss Trio ($36): These high shine glosses are NO JOKE. Use these in your next Instagram selfie, you’ll thank me later. These are small and compact, perfect for your date night bag or your backpack. Packed with Vitamin E and Jojoba Oil, these keep your lips soft and moisturized with an easy one swipe wand application.
- Glossier Lash Slick film form Mascara ($16): I will never use an overpriced, clumpy, Too Faced or Benefit mascara anymore after using this one. Like, ever. Feels like nothing is going on but trust me, the VOLUME she gives….wow. On the Glossier site they compare it to having eyelash extensions and they are correct. This no clump, lengthening mascara is needed in your beauty routine. I can’t say enough good things about it I love it. The cute color pink on the bottle makes the mascara even better!
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask ($20): I am sure you have seen your favorite celebrities or social media influencers rave about this product and to be honest, they should. This lip mask leaves my lips so plumped, hydrated and soft when I wake up. Small enough for your purse, or makeup bag or just on your counter because it is super aesthetically pleasing when it sits on the counter. The brush applicator makes this so much better too.
- Laneige Lip Glowy Balm ($17): I can’t express my love for them enough into words. I have one in my school and cheer backpacks, my car, my purse, my gym bag….you name it, it’s there. They are not overly sticky and are a great base for a lip stain or lipstick! If I had to chose one kind to be my favorite, it would have to be Pear. It smells like green apple….no joke. If you are thinking of buying, try this one!
Podcasts: As it may seem from my many Spotify playlists, (you should definitely check them out btw, they are fire) I absolutely love music but some days we just need to distract our brains for a bit. In these cases, The ones I talk about here are the ones I listen to religiously (besides during quarantine) that bring me motivation, help me stay focused and make me feel good. I am a huge podcast gal and I think they are very beneficial for everyone regardless of age. You retain more information when you are listening to it rather than reading it (which is probably why I don’t like reading but that’s a different conversation).
If you have not listened to a podcast before, try it! Everyday is a good opportunity to get around to what we always put off or to pick up something brand new. In no particular order, let’s dive in:
- Emma Chamberlain’s “Anything Goes” Podcast: I adore Emma so much. Her relatable, funny, inspiring attitude is so refreshing every time I listen to her. For being so young, she gives really great advice and her humor is unmatched. Sometimes I feel like we lived similar lives when we were younger. I have re-listened to her podcast episodes multiple times every day. I pick up on new things each time I listen to them and it makes me love her and her podcast even more. Whenever I need a break or a pick-me-up, I’ll play them on my Google Home while cleaning or trying to fall asleep, while I shower, with airpods in by the pool, or in the car. Basically I listen to her everywhere. She is amazing and I would check it out if you like her and her Youtube videos.
- Gals On the Go Podcast with Danielle Carolan and Brooke Miccio: I feel so motivated when I listen to this podcast and I learn a lot about myself after each episode. I have been subscribed to Danielle on Youtube for a long time I love her energy and the types of videos she makes because they are up my alley of interests/goals, and she is also a college student. One great quality I love about this podcast is how real life and straight up they are. Being a Girl Boss is not easy and you have to work for what you want, not everyone has the same set of instructions for life.
- Schnitt Talk with Ellie Schnitt: Ellie is insanely funny, relatable, smart and pretty and she shows that in her podcast. I actually take notes in my notes app on my phone when I listen to the episodes because her advise on dating, meeting new people, making friendships, and overall bettering yourself is great.
- The Skinny Confidential: Lauryn and Michael are very educated for the types of topics they talk about and guests they have. This beauty, lifestyle wellness and business podcast is entertaining from start to finish. I learn SO much from one episode and I immediately try to make my life better from what they talked about or from what their guests have talked about. This is another podcast where I write down the important takeaways and really try to implement them into my everyday routine to be the best version of myself I can be.
- Chick’s In the Office: You’ve probably heard of Ria and Fran. I feel like I’m sitting right next to them when listening because it’s so laid back and personal. Their “Friday Energy” and laughs make my mood so much better. They talk everything from entertainment, tv shows, celebrities, movies, to their lives, to Noah (their producer).
- WSJ Secrets of Wealthy Women: This podcast brought by the Wall Street Journal is all about empowering yourself financially. Successful women executives, workplace pioneers, self-made entrepreneurs, industry trendsetters and money-savvy experts reveal insights on how to get ahead, reach your goals, and achieve professional success. It’s inspiring how successful women can be in their desired fields and how they got there. The hustle is never easy but if you want it bad enough, you have the willpower to work for it. I have thought about my future in different ways when I first listened to all the stories these women talk about and what I want does not feel so out of reach. A great listen if you are looking to further yourself financially and become more successful in your passion projects.
Skincare: It’s safe to say that the stress of what is happening in the world has taken a toll for the worst on my skin. My sleeping and eating habits, caffeine consumption, and inability to keep a strong hold on my stress are all factors that played a role in me not feeling my best. Now that I have a strong routine for my skin, I have never felt better.
- Sunday Riley U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil ($40 for the .5oz, $80 for the 1.18oz): This serum has helped the appearance of my acne scars and overall the amount of acne I get tremendously (Bio oil is also another great product for acne scarring). Put it on in the morning and before bed and within a few days (sometimes even hours) you will see results!
- Laneige Essential Power Skin Toner ($28): This lightweight but effective toner is the match for combination to oily skin (especially for summer). red/irritated. The use of B3 is great for gently brightening and refining. I use toner mornings and nights in my routine and I don’t feel extra oily during the day, it keeps a good balance!
- Innisfree Super Volcanic Clay Mask ($15): I’ve tried a lot of masks to help my skin but this one is by far the best. My face doesn’t feel irritated or dry after putting it on and it’s affordable. Free of sulfates, formaldehydes, and parabens, the absorbent Jeju super volcanic clusters help exfoliate reduce excess oil and minimize the look of pores.
- Briogeo B. Well Organic + Cold-Pressed 100% Caster Oil ($26): Caster oil is great for hair growth for eyelashes and eyebrows and this one has worked for me without clogging my pores. I’ve seen results of longer lashes within a week and I’ve been using this product for a month. What I love about this specific caster oil is that it’s organic and free trade!
Clothing: Wearing the same outfit/similar outfits everyday is a real thing during quarantine, here are some of my favorite easy outfit ideas that are casual, comfy and are socially acceptable to wear everyday.
- Set Active: I live for the cute sets set active has! Affordable, great quality, and helps me feel motivated to get up and move.
- Lululemon Aligns: You’ll never want to buy from anywhere besides Lululemon after wearing these. The softest, most fitting pair of leggings to exist with Nulu fabric and a high waisted fit.
- H&M Sweatshorts: I wear these 24/7 they are so comfortable and can be worn for any casual outfit or for going to bed.
Activities: Last but not least…we need actual fun. These are some of the activities I found enjoyable during my time at home:
- Mood Boards
- Making TikTok’s (The amount of hours I spend on this app is concerning….)
- Listening to new music or throwbacks (Click here for my Spotify playlists!)
- Journaling (Helps me feel SO much better)
- Working out (Chloe Ting shout out to you I have never looked or felt better about myself)
- Tanning (Don’t forget SPF over 20!!)
- Going on walks and runs
- Taking online classes
- Trying new recipes
- Watching new Netflix shows (OBX was my favorite)
- Calling/texting friends frequently
It’s insane that summer is almost over. Our day to day will be looking a bit different soon but just know you are not alone during these times and things will get better. Go outside and get some fresh air when you can, social distance, wear your mask (I beg), and take a breather! We’re in this together.